Wednesday, March 24, 2010

NOON-Brackettville, TX-Fort Clark Springs



NOON--Brackettville, TX Fort Clark Springs Community

Left Uvalde and headed west on Hwy 90. Didn’t get very far. Made about 40 miles and spotted Fort Clark Springs established in 1852 near Las Moras Springs. The post was used to guard the border of Mexico (guard the overland trail). Sound familiar. Originally called Fort Riley. This was used to defend settlements from Indians. Indians on both sides of the border.

Pulled up to the Guard building expecting to pay. Lots of security people here. No charge to get in but the museum is only opened on Sat and Sun but I could just ride thru. He handed out a map and highlighted how to get to the RV park. He asked if he should call Shirley, at the RV park and tell her to expect me, to inquire about prices. I said yes. Yes, is what I thought he wanted me to say.

Shirley was standing outside the office and waved hello. The park is open, not a lot of trees. But ok by south TX. Prices are very reasonable. This is a private (city). Lots of activities, as they are a retirement community, mostly. Member’s of the home (community) owners association, get a discount and they honor Good Sam’s and all the other discounts. Prices range from $17 to $24 a night with weekly from $80 to $124 and monthly from $230 to $335. That includes water, electric, cable, wifi and picnic tables. Use of the laundry room, kitchen and pavilions. Also, all of the 2,700 acres in the community.

Fishing is allowed and a license is not needed as this is privately owned. What a deal. Free fishing, swimming and golf.

Mostly during the snow bird season they have bingo, pot luck dinners, breakfast. Shirley lives on site #13 just in front of the office if you have questions.

If you stay at the RV park or in the hotels you are entitled to use all the community goodies. They have 2 golf courses (play free), a swimming pool, that is the 3rd largest in Texas, fed by Las Moras Spring that springs here. There are 21 miles of marked hiking and biking trails. Lots of axel deer and turkeys and I am sure lots of crawling critters.

The pool stays at 68 degrees year round and is drained and cleaned weekly. No chemicals are need for this spring fed pool.

The Texas Disco Roadrunners where present. They all had Discovery’s by Fleetwood, expect for this one Holiday Rambler owner, he said he was there as a guest. He mentioned that the club called him a S. O. B. Well, I wondered as he explained what sob meant. It means Some Other Brand. Well you live and learn.

1:00 pm Driving into a Verizon Dead Zone


From Del Rio, TX to Big Bend NP. Dead Zone. Hopefully, I will find hotspots but I don't think that will happen. Not sure if this is safe for me but I can always head 60 miles north and get to I-10 for cove age, if I feel I need to. Should be to Big Bend by Sunday. No place to stay if I arrive earlier. I could do without this Reserve America. How do you feel about Reserve America for our Nation Parks?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Marie, Fort Clark Springs sounds like a great place to visit. Beside the fact I like to golf (I would say love, but I'm not that good at it)I was just looking at the location and Rhonda and I are down in Alamo, TX only 323 miles away. You are going to a place I keep talking about, Big Bend (I want to go there really bad, but other things get in the way)I will eventually get there, but now I have your eyes and blog to tell me a little about it. The brochures look lovely and everyone I've talked to either loved it or hated it. I can tell you it's one of the least visited of our NP. I look forward to reading about it in your blog.
    P.S. - Thanks Connie, I will try your salad idea.
    Tom & Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome - lettuce doesn't agree with me so I try other ways to make salads. Cut up the raw veggies into bite sizes. You can add anything else to it, too. Sometimes I cut up an apple, shredded carrots, celery, whatever. Barry even likes it and he isn't a salad eater.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete