Thursday, March 25, 2010

Del Rio, TX--35 mph winds


9:30 AM Worked on toad (moped)

Did not get out of town. Fixed the problem with air pressure in tires! Just went and had the oil changed at one of those quick change places. Five quarts of Castrol synthetic blend oil, windshield washer fluid, grease under carriage, tire pressure and check other things. Cost $39.95 what a deal. Paid cash, seemed to be the right thing to do. These people did not try the 'oh you need a transmission thingie'.

Put 53 pounds of air in front and 75 pounds in rear. Door panel calls for 55 in front and 80 in back. Had the tech use his air pressure gauge and my air pressure gauge, so I have a equal starting point. I wonder if these young mechanics think us old ladies are crazy. They where very nice and put up with me following them around and around the van. Seems Mr Van has at least 11 grease spots.

Started heading west on Hwy 90 but stopped for gas. I guess you could call me a friendly person. I believe in saying hello. So I did. Juan Lopaz was also getting gas at the HEB store pumps, he saw Famous Chief and smiled so I said 'Hi'. Juan then walked over to look at the Moped. Many guys do this.

Remember the pictures when I loaded the moped on Mr Van in Lexington. Well this Yamaha moped is kind of old and this past year the seat started to crack and tore. Guess what Juan use to do before retirement.

He said he could fix for $25 and could do it in 2 hours. He would have to take the seat off the moped and go to a friends shop, where he would have the material. He did that but the friend was not in his shop today because of a doctor appointment.

Ended up at Juan's apartment where he had a piece of vinyl and a sewing machine. This vinyl is a better fabric then what was on the moped but a different color. A light pretty gray. I like it better than the cheap thin black. Probably will be cooler. This is Juan and I and the moped seat repaired.

Juan just had the seat of the moped and I went to a local park and then shopping at the Dollar Store while he did the work. Butttt, I was amazed at this sewing machine. I don't know how old it could be but Juan lived and worked in Monterrey, CA until he retired and moved here. He said he could not afford rent in CA. Sheesh. Anyway, moving to TX he only carried a couple of bags, not furniture, etc. He found this machine at a garage sale here and purchased for $350. That included the table.

I could feel the history that machine must have. He didn't have any of those details. Never heard of this name---have you!!

Around 5:30 I left. This started about 2:00. Tried to pay Juan but he did not want money, by then we had become friends. Isn't that amazing. But I left $30 on the sewing machine. Juan saw the money. I have found in times like this, when someone does not want to take money for their work, you can not hand them the money they will not take it. But if you just put the dollars folded into their shirt pocket or leave it laying on a table. Well, that works. He did a great job and I am thrilled.

Anyway, this am the winds are over 35 mph and I am sitting at a McDonalds waiting for peace.



Look at my sweet, sweet Chief. We were walking in the park. He has his tougue out, not because he is hot but because he is trying to get more oxygen so his heart doesn't have to work sooooo hard. I cry for him.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Juan did a great job - your seat looks nice! Don't you meet the nicest people sometimes? That sewing machine looked interesting so I looked up Union Special - http://www.unionspecial.com/corp.htm. It says that Union Special Corporation is the oldest, largest and last Industrial Sewing Machine manufacturing company remaining in the United States - starting in 1881! Wow, that is something! Oh, Chief, take it easy - what a sweetheart! Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie, I've hit those head-winds before in Texas and they aren't any fun. I'm not sure if you are a Escapee's member or not, it's one of the RV clubs I'm a member of. Anyway, they send out a magazine every two months and there was an article in this last issue which brught you to mind. It's some do'es and don'ts concerning traveling alone as a woman in your RV. It had some interesting and albeit informative safety tips, if you would like I will email you a copy. I'm sure there are a few things in the article you might not have thought of, I certainly didn't (but of course I'm a man :-) Keep up the good blog info and if I have any questions on finding something out I may go to Connie, she seems to be on the ball. (That's my daughter-in-law's name - go figure). Enjoying your blog very much. Tom & Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom, I guess it's the teacher in me - after spending 35 and a half years in education, ha! I love googling things online. Much easier then in the olden days when one had to look it up in a boring encylopedia! Marie, Tom has a good idea there about traveling alone safely. We just had a discussion about that on the ClassBRVladies website. Some women who travel alone, set a pair of men's workshoes/boots and a BIG men's sized shirt outside their rv when parked at a campground to make it look like, well you know, to make it look like they're not in there alone.
    Keep on blogging - enjoy hearing what others are doing - take care....Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Connie and Tom...Big Boots... Who would have thought of that..love it

    ReplyDelete