Monday, February 22, 2010

When you sleep, does your mind rest

7 AM Remember 4th of July weekend trip

As soon as my mind came awake this am I was living a July 4th weekend about 12 years ago. Would like to share this with you. Living and working in Charlotte, NC dear husband and I had a 3 day weekend for the 4th of July. I (that is me) decided we should go to the Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina, section. Without reservations or planning. Off we go in a 1991 Dodge conversion van. Looking for a rv park to spend the night proved hopeless, all booked up, duh 4th of July weekend.

Alone the parkway we kept seeing these homemade signs announcing 'Blue Grass Fiddle Festival', someone suggested to us 'go their and that lady will let you stay in her pasture' he also added 'you will be glad you did'. I believe in reading between the lines and when someone takes the time to say something like this I want to believe in great things.

We where not disappointed. On top of a mountain was a covered amphitheater type structure built into the side of a hill. Complete with mismatched church benches, old movie house seats, dirt/straw floor and a stage with a small dance floor of plywood. We stayed the entire weekend. Taking a seat towards the top row, closes to the exit, just in case. We watched. Middle of the seats was an older, tiny in statue, man and a younger lady. She turned out to be his daughter. I watched as every woman in the place would ask this man to dance. He never refused. They where clogging, mountain clogging. Soooooo, I made my husband move and took seat directly behind these people.

Turns out this man is the premier clogger and teaches how to clog. He was featured in a documentary on the travel channel, showing mountain life and clogging. The daughter owned a local radio station, one of the last stations playing only mountain music. She blew me away, very bright and patience. Obviously, loves her Dad.

Turns out clogging is not as easy as it looks. It is all in the heel and can become uncomfortable.

We found the pasture owner and asked to pay for staying overnight. She said that was not necessary. But she did accept a donation.

Did my mind sleep last night? Why did I relive this memory so early this am. Who knows!! Hope you enjoyed.

3 pm Wash that gray right out of your hair

Travel on the road in a van that does not have a inside bath/shower makes washing a ladies hair tough. Tougher is coloring said hair. So coloring my hair needs to get done before I leave. A few days ago I found a bottle of color. Sooooo. Turns out the bottle was old and had be frozen. Ended up with very very black hair and the plastic bottle busted , so now have black cabinet and bathroom rug. This afternoon I re-colored my hair, better but not perfect. Will post picture tomorrow.

Several campground shower houses, actually have posted signs saying 'please do not color hair'. This is reasonable, messes do happen. But you know I saved $30.

No comments:

Post a Comment