Sunday, August 8, 2010

Ky Horse Park...Volunteer job


In my older/retirement part of life, I find I do not say yes, to all things. Is that what you find? It is not that I don't have compassion, just that I find people will take advantage, and these people are out to take advantage.


Derek Rhodes, security coordinator, for the FEI Equestrian Games, did a telephone interview with me. He is scoping out 'team leaders'. Asked a million questions, like do you have a problem with a lot of walking.


One of the requirements to volunteer is to give these people six 8 hour sifts. Mr Rhodes made the team leader job sound great, then the poke came. He says that the team leader position requires a commitment of ten 8 hour sifts. He quickly asked if I could comment to that.


I told him NO, I would do the 6 original shifts. The reason I said no is that this is getting expensive. The event needs to get a life. They have come down on the ticket prices. Anyway, Mr Rhodes is not a volunteer but an event planning that travels all over doing these things. While I am able and willing to work, I am not willing to pay their bills. Mr. Rhodes did not offer and incentive to stay the extra days.

I mention that if another individual needed a place to stay and we worked together, I would offer a place to stay in exchange for a free ride to the horse park. The drive is about an hour, only 40 miles. He said he would make a note and let me know.




No comments:

Post a Comment