Thursday, May 6, 2010

Gonzales, LA...back in time

11:00 pm Gonzales, La where I grew up

Although Dad was in the Air Force and I was born in Savannah, GA, Gonzales, La is where I grew up. This house is about 20 miles from Gonzales. Gonzales has all the stores, Maurepas has an IGA grocery and that is all.

After Katrina Gonzales boomed. Seems like New Orleans moved to Gonzales. Now it is the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Decided to go to Lowes for supplies. On the way I stopped at the Baptist cemetery to visit my little brothers grave site. Little Eddie was two years old when he fell into a canal behind our house and died. I was 4 years old. Never really got over that.
That was in Lake Charles, LA. They say my father carried my brother's casket in his car to Gonzales, so he could be buried here. I guess now a days you can't do that. Can you imagine what tough people our parents and grand parents where.

Also, found this site. These are my ex-in laws. I knew that Mr Johnson had passed but I didn't realize that Mrs Johnson had passed, and only 3 months after him. Go figure. These two had quiet the relationship. They did everything together. Very involved with the church

1 comment:

  1. Marie, so sad about your little brother. I like the fact that you took the time to document it here. It brought tears to my eyes thinking of our relatives who have passed before us. This week we attended hubby's 88 year old aunt's funeral. It was one of the "happiest" funerals I've ever attended. The preacher had a wonderful message and the service was so uplifting. Good to see you taking time to do other things besides working. Take care now!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete