Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Maurepas, LA..Termites and water leak

Date April 7, 2010
10:00 pm Termites die Verizon too
As you know my Verizon Internet card is iffy, so I hope this post goes well.

Chief (Chief was born here) and I are in our stick house in the swamps of Louisiana. This house was built by myself and a past DH, about 30 years ago. I have not lived here very much but can’t seem to let the place go.

The second morning I was home, I went down stairs and found a lot of water under the house. I have two water wells, switched the breaker off, to the well, that feeds the house and started digging.

How dare a 30 year old pipe to break. I discovered that with no water to house means, no HOT water to house, which means when you get dirty digging up a water line, well you can’t get a bath. Thought about taking a cold bath from a water hose hooked to the well, but I’m not that tuff.

Three days later and $175 (labor only) I have temporary water line feeding the house, Yea, hot water.

This is the water hose hooked from the pump house to a place under the house that feeds the house. The plumbers suggested using a plastic piping called Pex to run permanent water lines. I will worry with that later.

While finding this water leak I was lucky enough to also find termites. Alive and happy. Apparently they like that spongy pipe insulation.

Four different pest control people came out for a look. Prices ranged from $500 to $1500, with yearly contracts around $200 year.

The last guy was hilarious. He looked and asked a million questions about the original construction. I have concrete pillars on concert slabs. But part was built in 1981 and part was built in 1996. In any case he said ’I don’t see any damage to your house. I can do a lot of stuff and charge you a bunch. I will let you know. But I won’t leave you with the termites in that one spot‘. He din’t tell me a price he just pulled his truck up and ran a hose and sprayed. Then said I would not have any more in that spot and he din’t see any other problems to worry with right now.

Asked what I owed him and he said $50. I gave him $80 and he would not take it. So we settled on $60. He said that if I wanted him to spray more he would do it for $500, just let him know. Maybe in January, when Craig is here, we will add more protection.

By the way. These are local termites. The kind that go up and back to the earth every day. Not the kind that can survive in you house once they get in.

Time to rest. Tom you where so right. All is well. I can breath.

This poor connection will not let me post pictures. Called Verizon and they say to come in with the air card. And go find the nearest tower and dial 228 on my phone, of course that can not be done on the aircard.

Remember when you called with phone problems, Ma Bell came to your house and fixed it, no charge, without asking they put in a work order and they came. We pay more and get less, as far a service goes. Got to love the 21st century.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like progress is being made, Marie! Your story reminds me of our first summer cottage 30 something years ago in Delaware. No water either, so we walked down to the river and cleaned up the best we could. That water was dirtier than we were! You have termites, we have ants - driving me nuts! As far as Verizon, we were told to do the 228 to update our phones which I do every once in awhile. Busy here at home in PA, getting ready for our Rotary exchange student from Brazil, who is coming to live with us for four months on Sunday. Can't wait - we hosted his dad about 30 years ago! Is Chief happy to be "back home?" Enjoy your day!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie, I just wanted to tell you that using that PEX will be fine. Last year, when we put in our outside woodburner furnace, that's all the plumber used. It works great! Don't Worry! Be Happy!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness girl, if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any at all. Sounds as if you are getting things back on an "even stepehn" foundation. Just keep taking those deep breaths whenever you need them, they do come in handy.
    Rhonda and I are at a real nice campground called Grand Pappy's and it's a Passport America camground and the price is just $10 for the night. We've the Lake Texoma as our front yard. This is why we love RVing. Our front yard or backyard can always be different and if we don't like what we see out of the window we can just pick up and change the scenery. Keep up your blog it really is fun reading it. Hope you and Chief are doing okay and getting enough hot water.
    Tom & Rhonda

    ReplyDelete