Friday, November 26, 2010

Jeff Jones Chev...Versailles, KY


The day before T-day (Wed), Mr Thracter called to request I take my Van to a Chevrolet place to scan the transmission for codes. He had called a place in Danville, Ky and they said the charge for the scan would be $79.95.


Bob Allen Cadillac/Dodge/GM in Danville, KY, is the dealer I went to last Feb with Craig's Cadillac. Check my page on May 26, 2010. I didn't like them then and I still do NOT. Stopped by Bob Allen on my way home from the Back Doctor. Told the service tech who I was and the mechanic had called about a scan on the transmission. Asked the tech what the charges would be, he said $84.95 and the charge would go on from their depending on what they have to do. I left. Good bye.

Called Jeff Jones Chev in Verailles, KY, they changed my water pump on the van last year. Their charge would be $32.00. So I drove the 26 miles, very slowly. Top speed was 40 MPH and less on the hills.

Arrived 11:00 am. Big Al, called and talked with Mr. Tharcter. Four hours later I asked for the charge today and she said $32.00, I like people who tell the truth. I have decided to just replace the transmission. Cost will be $2,700.00 for a GM rebuilt unit. With a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. I will let Jeff Jones Chev do the work. I'm just tired of it all.

Oh, after test driving the van, I drove and the tech had the scanning hooked to the computer, the van did slip and no codes showed on the scanner. This 4L80E transmission has problems that don't fall in the mechanical end. In my opinion. But I could spend $3,000 just looking for the trouble. Sheeeesh.

Trans ordered and will be here Monday. I will need to get the converter off the repaired trans to return to Mr Thracter. He said his previous charge of $854 was a 'wash' but I feel I the need to pay him. At least the cost of the filter. What is the right thing to do?

On a lighter note. Walked in the show room and they had a 76 Cadillac Eldordo and an 83 Buick Rivera.


These cars made me feel young.

I think I would have sold my soul to have owned either one of these.


Call them what you want. Yank Tanks, land yachts, these cars are big and heavy. Makes me think of Elvis and Las Vegas. Those where the days. Of course, I think Disco was fun.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch! That will leave a mark for sure! At least that is a really good warranty period. Funny about the "Land Yachts", my Dad bought a big old gold El Dorado from an estate sale several years back. Someone had been keeping it in mint condition all this time and barely driven it. (had like 27K on it) Dad felt all studly driving it :) Not sure why he sold it. Disco was fun from what I remember of it!

    -Mike
    97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
    HTTP://WWW.VanTramps.Com

    ReplyDelete