Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Early retirement and Health Care


Looks like we have a D-day date, that is, the job completion date for Craig at work!! That date will be Dec 17, 2010. Sooooo, we will have two paychecks then life will change. I have read a lot of blogs about retiring and leaving work, but I never thought about actually not having a paycheck coming in. That is, a paycheck that you just worked 40 or more hours for.

Because Craig never takes a vacation, we will have 8 weeks of regular 40 paychecks then they pay the balance of his 540 hours of unused vacation. The Company benefits package happens this time every year. Today we got that completed using a conference call to benefits. We are field people so HR doesn't help us much. that's life in construction. Time to ask medical coverage questions!!

For 2010 we paid about $350 a month for health coverage, with the lowest deductible they offer. During enrollment for 2011 we asked what cobra would cost. And the answer is $980 a month, that would leave it as it is. If we only cover Craig the cost is $480.


I have Medicare, this complicates things. I have gotten different answers to the same questions. How are we suppose to know want is the truth. The question is, with me, is United Heath Care or Medicare the primary insurer?


Because Craig is a active employee and I am already covered by UHC, then UHC is the primary. That means UHC would not quote us the cost of full coverage for Craig and supplement coverage for me.


Craig has an existing condition, you may remember my post about the cost of Enbrel, if not covered by insurance. Think we would have problems buying insurance, for him, without going thru Cobra. Maybe the best situation would be to have Craig on Cobra and buy my supplement policy with someone else.


Sorry this is so long and confusing, but I am confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment