Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Famous Chief


The Famous Chief

Treasured Friend

I lost a treasured friend today
The little dog who used to lay
His gentle head upon my knee
And shared his silent thoughts with me.

He’ll come no longer to my call
Retrieve no more his favorite ball
A voice far greater than my own
Has called him to his golden throne.

Although my eyes are filled with tears
I thank him for the happy years
And for Chief’s love and loyalty.

When it is time for me to go
And join him there, this much I know
I shall not fear the transient dark
For Chief will greet me with a bark

This is unbearable.
He didn't play well with others. But sooooooo cute.

His last minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Marie, I'm so, so sorry to hear this. It brought tears to my eyes when I read Treasured Friend - what a lovely worded poem! May you always hold close to your heart all the Famous Chief memories. The words on the sweater are so cute! Sending a big hug your way today - take care - hang in there! Connie

    ReplyDelete